Open call for artists interested in making use of vacant commercial spaces: Aberdeen, Glenrothes, Greenock, Kilmarnock, Kirkcaldy, Motherwell, Newton Mearns, Paisley, Stirling, Edinburgh & Glasgow.
Deadline: 11 September 2022 (midnight)
MORE THAN SPACE is a Creative Scotland funded pilot project matching vacant commercial property with artists needing temporary studio or exhibition space at zero cost. Spaces currently available include units in Aberdeen, Glenrothes, Greenock, Kilmarnock, Kirkcaldy, Motherwell, Newton Mearns, Paisley, Stirling as well as Edinburgh and Glasgow.
We are seeking proposals from artists, collectives or community initiatives who could make-use of these spaces in October and November. This could be as studio space, for socially-engaged practice, as a research-base, or to test out ideas for exhibitions and artworks. Some spaces are public-facing and suitable for public display of artwork.
As a pilot project, we seek to trial, refine and develop better models for artist-led initiatives to occupy and make use of vacant commercial property within the heart of towns and cities across Scotland.
A £500 bursary is available to successful applicants to cover expenses (we anticipate 20 bursaries in total), free use of selected space, and curatorial & logistical support from the MORE THAN SPACE team for the duration of the project in October and November. Applicants will be chosen by an invited panel of selectors. All project participants will have the opportunity to retain use of the spaces for free beyond the life of the project.
Proposal Writing Workshop:
We are offering a session via Zoom to help applicants shape, frame and submit a proposal to Outer Spaces. Please email email@example.com to express interest in attending and we will send details and a link.
To apply, please submit a proposal to: firstname.lastname@example.org of approximately 500 words including:
- About you, your practice and area of interest
- How you would use the space
- What benefit it would bring to you, your practice or community
- Contact Info: Name, home & email address, website & social media links
- Preferred location; preferred unit type
What you will get:
- Use of a vacant commercial property in October and November. All participants will have the opportunity to retain use of the spaces for free beyond the life of the project (subject to availability, as each lease is subject to its own timeframe)
- £500 bursary
- Curatorial and logistical support from the MORE THAN SPACE team
- Deadline for application is 11 September (midnight)
- Successful applicants informed on 16 September
- Applicants matched to available spaces by 30 September
- Get-in to spaces from 3 October
- MORE THAN SPACE pilot project ends in December, where upon participants will be invited to join a discussion to reflect upon the project and share feedback. It is hoped that units will remain available, subject to lease, and all participants will have opportunity to retain use of their spaces beyond lifetime of this pilot.
Important Guidance Notes:
- There are no formal requirements or obligation for outcomes beyond a commitment to make-use of the space to develop your artistic, research or socially-engaged practice
- Bursaries are to cover out-of-pocket expenses, and are not intended as renumeration. MORE THAN SPACE is committed to fair pay for artists. See Scottish Artists' Union for more info.
- Artists must have Product and Public Liability insurance (PPL). Insurance for artists is available via membership of the Scottish Artists' Union for £6.00 per month or £3.00 per month for Graduates in their first year of union membership (also includes Professional Indemnity cover). Other membership schemes which provide PPL are available from a-n or Axisweb.
- Spaces cannot be used for commercial purposes. This is a condition of the lease.
- We are aware of proportion of artist’s time spent writing proposals. We don’t expect a fully worked-up plan. Just let us know how you could use the space to further your artistic practice. Keep it simple and realistic.
- Artists, collectives and artist-led initiatives and community projects, are eligible.
- Multiple artists can apply to use the same space, as we recognise that community is important to sustain artistic practice.
- Upon receipt of applications, the MORE THAN SPACE team will match applicants with available spaces at their preferred location.
- If your project has a public-facing aspect, we have a number of retail units that can be made available to you. These spaces tend to be vacant shop units, either within shopping centres or on high streets. The public-facing aspect could be a temporary exhibition, a series of activities or workshops, or, if being used as studio-space, by making aspects of the artistic process accessible to the public.
- Submissions can be sent as PDF, as recorded audio, or video. The majority of available spaces have ground floor access and accessible WC facilities. If you have questions about access, please get in touch at email@example.com
Within your proposal, please indicate preferred locations (up to 3: First choice; Second choice; Third choice):
Preferred type of unit: Public-Facing (shop unit)* or Non-Public Facing (office unit):